Thursday, June 30, 2005

Sayonara Party #1

My 2nensei students' juku (cram school) teacher, Ms. Aiko, invited me to her home for a sayonara party this past weekend. The food was a nice mixture of french fries, rice, pizza, and whatever else they thought that I would like from back home. Sooo cute. I never really got the chance to hang out with the 2nensei kids outside of school, so it was fun. Ms. Aiko plays the koto (Japanese harp), so she busted it out and started playing the Japanese folk song, Sakura (cherry blossom). I asked her if I could play. I started learning and I couldn't stop trying! It was so addictive because of the beautiful sound that it makes when you pluck the strings. Sooo, needless to say that I asked her if she ccould teach me. So, my first classes start this Friday and last until I leave. I'm so excited to learn SOMETHING from Japanese culture since being here. I hope to continue playing when I get back to Washington, DC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pics in the posts! Chose this post to comment on b/c the mention of cram schools reminds me of something I saw a few weeks ago.

I was teaching at an elementary school, and passed an article from the kids' section of the Mainichi Shimbun tacked up on the wall. The article talked about jukus and said mentioned that they are pretty rare in the West. However, it did give a translation and mini English lesson.

Juku = ram school, ramming school
Juku ni ikimasu ka? = Do you go to ram(ming) school?

:-)