Thursday, June 30, 2005

Natsukashii

Natsukashii=nostalgia. Well, it's officially one more month before I leave Japan and head back to America. I haven't even left Japan and I'm already feeling nostalgic. Here are just a few things that I'll miss...

My friends: Whether it was my friends from church, especially the Hashiguchi women, or my friends through JET, they were ALL my lifeline and my extended family. Having a family feeling is soo important to me because I've always been close to my biological family back home. Just looking back at some of the experiences I shared with friends in various countries or right here in Japan, I will never forget them. They are moments that we all shared together and moments that will never be exactly the same no matter how we try to recreate them back in America or wherever we all end up. I look forward to seeing some of my friends back home and scattered across the world. It's been so wonderful.

My students: These guys have really changed me. I've learned so much from them and I hope that they've learned something from me. I've learned patience (how to control my temper/anger), unconditional love, forgiveness, generosity, and so much more. Kids, no matter where you live in the world, really do say the darndest things and they make you think. I just can't wait to have my own one day, they've helped me to learn all of the things that I need to know to be a good mother one day. For that, I am forever grateful to them. I hope that they will never forget me as well.

Cultural Connections: Oh man, this is just invaluable. I have exchanged culture with so many people here. Like my friends, there are people that I will never forget. I'll always make my way back to Japan to visit them. As far as learning about Japanese arts, I got a 'C.' I wish that I had learned more: 'ikebana' (the art of floral arrangement), 'kendo' (Japanese swordsmanship/fencing), traditional dance, and so much more, but I will start learning the 'koto" (Japanese harp) this last month before I leave. I think that I will be able to continue do and experience many of these things back home as well in Washington, DC, so no worries.

Well, here's to making cultural connections wherever you go in the world. Don't forget that you can touch people's lives in some way shape or form no matter where you go. What kind of footprints will you leave in the sand? What experiences in your life will be so great that someone will want to put them in stone to be remembered forever and ever? Who's life will you help change? Will you serve someone other than yourself? This is my new lifelong challenge, so if you see me being selfish, remind me that I'm on a journey. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu ne.




No comments: