Wednesday, January 02, 2008

2008: A New Year

(Kwanzaa Ceremony led by Israel's father)

This year, I went to me and Amy's friend, Israel's, house for New Year's Eve. There were a lot of his family and friends there. His father decided to have a Kwanzaa ceremony before the start of the New Year. This is the first of, I'm sure, memorable moments of 2008.

Cultural Connections Moment:

Kwanzaa is a week-long festival celebrated primarily in the United States, honoring African-American heritage. It is observed from December 26 to January 1 each year. Even though I'm African American, I had never celebrated Kwanzaa, nor was I educated on the meaning of each candle, songs, etc. It was very refreshing to hold hands with "folk" and sings songs and pass love and talk about the meaning of each candle/symbol. For more information: www.wikipedia.org .

I thought a serial killer hitched a ride with me moment in 5,4,3, 2.....

Partying Moment:

I started the holidays off with my birthday party with about 10 of my friends on Dec. 28th. I went to this house party and it was amazing. I'm thinking that I'm going to host more house parties instead of always going out and spending money to line someone else's pockets. (I also can't sit down in a restaurant for longer than 2 hours or I'm looking for an exit).

Good Samaritain Moment:

Ok, so I'm going home from the party at 4AM and I see this little guy waving me down. I looked back to see if he was trying to hail a cab, but he wasn't, he was waving at me! Ok, I was at the stop light for an extra minute or two, but I felt SO bad ignoring him. I had a split second decision: so I rolled my window down a crack to see what he wanted.

Turns out the poor thing went to a party that got a little crazier than he thought and then he figured he'd walk back to his hotel. Until he realized it was several miles in the other direction that he was walking.

Ok, I call this my good Samaritan moment, because I totally could've followed my common sensical mind and kept it moving or I could've ignored it and trusted my gut instinct that he was not a serial killer. He was a country boy from North Carolina and he didn't have ANY cash to get him anywhere. Didn't know where the nearest subway was or that it was closed and he didn't even know the address to his hotel. All this to say, I took him to his hotel (a well-known one) and he was SO grateful.

Warning: Kids NEVER do this! I was totally lucky!

Overall, I have a good feeling about the New Year and I hope that you do too! I hear that it's the year of change, which is much needed right now.

Peace and Love,

Gina

No comments: