Sunday, November 18, 2007

Up with the sunrise in Kailua

After arriving at Honolulu airport, nearly 4 hours late, Jennie Major, one of my good friends from study abroad in Moscow, came to pick me up with her boyfriend, Trevor. I was extremely tired after being on several different airlines/planes before finally arriving at my destination. My bags were misplaced in the airline shuffle, so all I had was one pair of clothing, a bathing suit (the one you see to the right) and some toiletries in my carry on. That was good enough for me. When I got to Jennie and Trevor's place, I met one of her roommates and her other roommate's mom, Diane. Jennie was really nice and allowed me to sleep in her bed while I was there.
I was clothless the following day, since my luggage had yet to arrive. I was told that if that happens, then the airline will pay you back up to $100 (keep your receipts!), so Diane and I went shopping at the local Island Wear shop in Kailua (the sleepy beach town Jennie lived in). I got a really cute white sun dress, some nice shoes and tons of toiletries totaling $100. After that shopping bonanza, Diane and I were hung out while I waited for Jennie to get home to take me to pick up my rental car. The rental car people forced a sweet Honda Accord with a sunroof down my throat, but after some maneuvering, I got used to it.
Early the next morning, Diane (who had just arrived 1 night earlier) woke up early, as did I at 5:30AM. We both decided that since jetlag got the best of us, we might as well make the most of it and watch the sunrise. You can see me bikini clad above, but it was the most perfect temperature I'd ever experienced. The water was warm and there was a breeze. After a few moments on the beach, Milo, the chocolate lab arrived and started playing with coconuts. Read below...

No comments: