Sunday, September 04, 2005

What Reverse Culture Shock?

Well, I've been back in the States for a month now and I have yet to experience this "reverse culture shock" that many of my friends said that they experienced when they came back from Japan. I think that I haven't experienced it because I came back on July 31st and on August 8th I was back at work at ICFJ (www.icfj.org ). It was good to get back to some level of normalcy, although my body paid for it. For about three weeks, I was jetlagged. I would sleep only until 4 am and then wake up and go back to sleep an hour later.

Some of the things that I notice about myself is how I have changed in social settings. In a conversation with a group of people mixed with those that I don't know, the old Gina would've been talkative and welcoming. The new Gina is more standoffish (is that a word? another affect of living abroad in a non-English speaking country) in a great conversation. I often sit and listen and observe because I'm so used to not knowing how to express myself effectively in Japanese in a Japanese conversation that I was often unwillingly thrust into. Don't get me wrong, I did have great conversations in Japanese, it's just that the dynamic of the relationships within the "talking group" might not be a group of people that may appreciate what I have to say about a sensitive topic. Most Japanese people stayed clear of conversations on politics because if it involved my country, it often wasn't good. And I got the feeling that they followed the rule that my grandparents followed, "If what you have to say isn't nice, don't say anything at all." Yeah, that about sums it up. So, I've started following that rule. I've started not speaking unless I'm spoken to and I often tell myself that I shouldn't do or say things that might "rock the boat." So, please excuse me as I go through my "reverse culture shock" in my own way. I am slowly coming back to my old ways, but I've been through so many changes in these last few months (i.e. the joy of knowing God [see "The Purpose Driven Life" book] and my heart [break] attack). There's more to come in the changes in my life. The cultural connections that I've had in these last two years have been enough to fill a book (see my future book in say... 3 years).

Working
Yesterday was my last day of temporary work at ICFJ. It was good to come back to work with my old friends there. I have been trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with my career, and it has caused me some stress just dreaming about it. But the overwhelming feeling that I get is that my calling is somewhere in the world of international development. I have had two great job offers working in that field, although indirectly, that are a great step in the right direction. I should find out which job I will have by the end of September or the beginning of October. I'm not worried though, God knows what he wants for me and I'll do the best that I can at whatever job I do get.

Volunteering
Well, starting Tuesday I will be heading to the Dominican Republic to visit my friend, Ikuko Shimizu, who has been living in Dajabon, DR since January. She is doing some great work there in that small village (www.ikukosh.blogspot.com). I will know more in depth what it is exactly that she does there when I arrive. I will help her with some workshops that she will administer and get the opportunity to teach English to some Haitian immigrant children that cross the border everyday. I just want to get my hands in there and work in whatever way that I can. I really wish that my Spanish skills were up to par (it's been ten years since I've taken Spanish lessons), so that I can communicate with them. I'm not too worried though because when I first came to Japan, I had that same problem, but I survived. I know that going there and having this experience will give me one more new perspective of the world outside of America. I wish that ALL Americans had this opportunity to see the world in this way. Every chance that I get I want to travel abroad and not just for leisure travel in overpriced hotels and resorts, but the chance to make real cultural connections. I want to contribute somehow to the society/community that I visit wherever I go. I can't imagine going to another country and not being educated somehow. I will post pictures to the site when I return. I bought a disposable camera with me just in case I lose my digital camera. I'm so excited to go. You'll get to read more about my experiences later.

No comments: